Role and Impact of IoT on Education and Learning
Internet of Things (IoT) is fundamentally a network, consisting of various devices, which are attached with electronics, software, and network connectivity of different orientations, aimed at compiling and exchanging vast multitudes of information.
The terminology, Internet of Things, was formulated, first by Procter& Gamble’s Kevin Ashton, and later by MIT’s Auto-ID Center, both in 1999. IoT services cause a fusion of the mechanical world with the realm of computer systems, through minimal human efforts, and can in effect, enhance the accuracy and profitability of all activities significantly.
How Does Internet Of Things Help Us?
IoT finds its applications in almost anything that humans perform utilizing the Internet including, telecommunication, teaching, learning, travel, finance, business, and technology. Since the need is the mother of all inventions, the principle of IoT is fulfilling an unprecedented number of objectives with each passing day, as more people are gaining access to the Internet. This trend, in turn, is fuelling the demand for a suitable IoT service provider, as people look for ways to integrate the physical and computed aspects of their lives. A wide range of startups and Information technology organizations are aspiring to occupy the business space created by IoT’s advent.
Ways in Which IoT Supplements Learning
IoT in education comprises of an essential tool, with an astounding potential for radically transforming the traditional educational methods employed to impart knowledge. Some ways in which IoT can be used to incorporate innovations in the field of learning are:
- Increases awareness about several scientific phenomena, which were previously unheard of amongst the bulk of the population.
- Reduces the workload which teachers are subjected to, by overseeing manual aspects of teaching such as attendance sheets, checking and grading.
- Provides more sources of information for students’ use to personalize learning.
- Ensures a secured environment for learning, attained through the use of several tracking software and equipment.
- Instrumentally enhances students’ performance via the use of interactive software especially focused on the evaluation of student attributes.
- Corrects students treading on felonious paths, by monitoring their activities.
- Formulates methods such as eBooks, to provide portable and conveniently usable sources of knowledge to users.
- Dramatically improves lines of communication between learners and teachers.
- Incorporates safety measures in educational institutions to deal with natural calamities and emergencies.
- Reduces the educational costs allocated for paper and chalkboards, by eliminating their need.
- Provides popularly viewed platforms to learners, for showcasing their talents, thus, boosting their self-confidence.
Role of IoT in Health
Internet of Things also plays a crucial role in improving the mental, physical and social aspects of health, by providing comprehensive knowledge regarding the measures that may be implemented to prevent health problems from arising. Good health is facilitated by various computerized medical applications and software, which may be accessed, even through mobile phones.
These applications monitor and report the state of health determinants such as heart rate, respiratory rate, blood pressure, and blood sugar levels to their users. Thus, IoT has also successfully reduced medical expenses, by minimizing the dependence on health professionals.
Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) is a still newer concept, resulting from the further evolution of IoT. In IIoT, large amounts of data are collected through IoT and shared with a central database. The central database combines the gathered information with even more data, eventually presenting it to the user. Some companies provide quality IIoT services for analyzing data to facilitate the productivity of individuals, educational institutions, stores, and industries.